images -> DVD-slideshow ?

Howdy:

What is your suggestion for an application that will convert
many (still) images into a DVD slideshow, perhaps with
background music?  I've been trying to obtain image2mpeg
with varying sucess.  I was able to get a version downloaded
and compiled.  I created an image (stream.ppm), but there
seems to be no mention of how to get the output file onto a DVD.

If the output DVD <image> is small, can it be placed on
a (650-700MB) CDROM and played on a standard DVD player?
If yes, how?  'growisofs' balks at writing to my CDROM media.

I am using Slackware v10.2 and understand *.tar.gz.
I am poorer at installing *.rpm, but will try if that is the only
offering of another application.  *.deb, I don't know.

Regards, Chuck

-