RE: multicast: same port, different IP address?

Just my humble opinion here, but to the extent that IP addresses are used to identify a host (or in this case a set of hosts) that should receive messages and transport layer port numbers are used to identify applications (or services), if it was me I'd probably encapsulate the application layer messages in UDP and use UDP port numbers to delineate message types or groups of message types. UDP adds little overhead to the protocol (8 byte header, if I am not mistaken) and the standard sockets API provides a straightforward way to demux the incoming traffic to the interested applications. How that would be best done obviously depends upon the details of the application.

Jeff Haran