How to create driver for device based on USB HID protocol?

Hello,

I have a small USB IR receiver device which is based on the HID protocol. I also have sourcecode for a small daemon which accesses the device via "rawhid" and offers an UDP server where LIRC may connect to.

My idea is to create a kernel module which allows the kernel built-in remote control handling to take over the device. But I don't know how to convert the existing C-sourcecode to something that may run as kernel module.

The easiest way would be to keep with rawhid, but this wouldn't allow hotplugging. It would require the user to manually load the kernel module after the device has been plugged and reload the module after unplugging and replugging the device. Is hotplugging of a device, that basically is already handled by the kernel and the hid kernel module, possible at all?

Can someone point me to the right direction, please?

Thanks in advance

Yours

Manuel