Re: Kmod-4 installation of tools

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 20:35 -0200, Lucas De Marchi wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Matt Burgess
> <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A plain 'make install' of kmod-4 results in kmod's headers, library and
> > man pages being installed, but not the actual tools.  This appears to be
> > because the tools are defined in noinst_SCRIPTS in the Makefile.
> >
> > Could I kindly request that the man pages be installed iff the tools are
> > installed.  With the way things are at the moment, it's easier than it
> > should be, IMO, to end up with kmod's man pages and module-init-tools'
> > binaries.
> >

> First of all, tools are installed by default: there's only one tool
> named 'kmod' and packagers are supposed to make the symlinks with old
> names. Aren't you getting a 'kmod' binary?

Ah, right, yes, I get the kmod binary.  However, I also saw in the tools
directory, post-build, that the depmod, insmod, lsmod, modinfo, modprobe
and rmmod are all symlinked to kmod-nolib.  As kmod-nolib wasn't
installed, I assumed that the others weren't installed/installable
either.

If, as you say, the other tools can be installed as symlinks against the
kmod binary, then that's all fine.

Are there plans for the 'make install' target to do this symlinking in
the future, or will it be up to distributors to provide the
compatibility symlinks?

Thanks for the quick response!

Matt.