Re: isolate_freepages_block and excessive CPU usage by OSD process

On 28.11.2014 9:03, Joonsoo Kim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I didn't follow-up this discussion, but, at glance, this excessive CPU
> usage by compaction is related to following fixes.
>
> Could you test following two patches?
>
> If these fixes your problem, I will resumit patches with proper commit
> description.
>
> -------- 8< ---------

Thanks for looking into this. Running 3.18-rc5 kernel with your patches has
produced some interesting results.

Load average still spikes to around 2000-3000 with the processors spinning 100%
doing compaction related things when min_free_kbytes is left at the default.

However, unlike before, the system is now completely stable. Pre-patch it would
be almost completely unresponsive (having to wait 30 seconds to establish an
SSH connection and several seconds to send a character).

Is it reasonable to guess that ipoib is giving compaction a hard time and
fixing this bug has allowed the system to at least not lock up?

I will try back-porting this to 3.10 and seeing if it is stable under these
strange conditions also.