Re: For review: pid_namespaces(7) man page

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 5:01 AM, Rob Landley <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> On 02/28/2013 05:24:07 AM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>> [...]
>>>

>>> Um, perhaps "different processes"? Slightly repetitive, but trying to avoid
>>> the potential misreading that "a processes can have the same PID in
>>> different namespaces". (A single process can't be a member of more than one
>>> namespace. This is not about selective visibility.)
>>
>> I'm not sure this clarifies things...

>>> I thought suspend/resume a container was the simple case. Migration to a new
>>> host is built on top of that. (On resume in a new container on the same
>>> system, if other stuff is going on in the system so the available PIDs have
>>> shifted.)
>>
>> I'll add some words here on suspend/resume.

>>> If SIGKILL to init is propogated to all the children of init, is SIGSTOP
>>> also propogated to all the children? (I.E. will SIGSTOP to container's init
>>> suspend the whole container, and will SIGCONT resume the whole container? If
>>> the latter, will it only resume processes that weren't previously stopped?
>>> :)
>>
>> Covered by Eric.

>>> mirrors the relationship
>>
>> Thanks.

>>> They fail with -EUNDOCUMENTED
>>
>> Added EINVAL, as per Eric's reply. (Eric does that error also apply
>> for the two new cases you added?).

>>> Um, no they don't. They fail. That's the point.
>>
>> (Good catch.)
>>
>>> They _would_ put the new
>>> thread in a different PID namespace, which breaks the definition of threads.
>>>
>>> How about:
>>>
>>> The above unshare(2) and setns(2) calls change the PID namespace of
>>> children created by subsequent clone(2) calls, which is incompatible
>>> with CLONE_VM.
>>
>> I decided on:
>>
>>        The  point  here is that unshare(2) and setns(2) change the PID
>>        namespace for created children but not for the calling process,
>>        while  clone(2) CLONE_VM specifies the creation of a new thread
>>        in the same process.
>
> Can we make that "for all new tasks created" instead of "created
> children"
>
> Othewise someone might expect CLONE_THREAD would work as you
> CLONE_THREAD creates a thread and not a child...

The term "task" is kernel-space talk that rarely appears in man pages,
so I am reluctant to use it.

How about this:

       The  point  here is that unshare(2) and setns(2) change the PID
       namespace for processes subsequently created by the caller, but
       not  for the calling process, while clone(2) CLONE_VM specifies
       the creation of a new thread in the same process.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk