Re: initramfs tools

Hi,

> That sounds very much like you just reinvented the wheel, since I can
> do that already with opensuse's initrds.

BootUtils is targeted primarily at kernel packagers who compile a initramfs
image directly into the kernel that takes over the task of finding and mounting
a root device.

Not entirely reinventing the wheel ... took ideas and some code from nash &
run-init and added a few features. Project has been around since middle 2005, at
that time neither had the features that I was after, so I implemented them.

Perhaps its a duplication of effort, but its a different approach. I see nothing
wrong with another alternative to the issue.

> Perhaps not only that.
> Everyone who packages GNU mount (which does in fact use blkid) has
> the ability to mount by label

BootUtils is targeted at kernel packagers who compile in a very stripped down
"preboot" environment into initramfs.

In our initramfs we basically shove in a stripped down busybox (basic shell
tools), lvm2, mdadm, udev (device naming) and module-init-tools (support for
compressed modules).

>, and Fedora is another one which can do
> that.

Looks like it relies on the kernel's ability to find and mount root device,
downloaded the src.rpm and quickly looked .... may be wrong though.

I personally do not like the kernel trying to find the root device, it panic's
if it cannot find it ... this is something that I needed to resolve. Why not
drop to a shell if it cannot be found, fire up the network card, assign a
pre-configured IP address, start sshd ... just an idea.

> Plus, everyone should be supporting -b to start the emergency
> shell.

Got some docs or link for me on -b? would like to read up on it.

-N

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Laptop]     [Linux IBM ACPI]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Share Photos]     [Security]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Samba]     [Device Mapper]