Re: Packaging RC and -git releases

On 1/11/07, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Josh Boyer wrote:

> Also, the Fedora package munges SUBLEVEL and
> EXTRAVERSION to match the RPM version.  Does SuSE also do this?

for those two there is no "right" answer; the -rc tree is neither
2.6.19 nor 2.6.20 API wise, claiming either isn't entirely correct (in
terms of what drivers can ifdef for); being more conservative is the
right approach imo.

Sorry, I don't follow.  For starters, as Greg loves to say, there is
no stable kernel API ;).

Secondly, given the current development model how can one claim that
any of the -rc candidates is more similar to the previous release than
the one it's an -rc for?  Massive ammounts of incomming patches would
surely deviate the current API from the previous release.  And aren't
the release candidates supposed to be to stablize the changes that
just got merged during the window?

Granted that the APIs can always change between -rcs, but I don't see
how masquerading a -rc as the previous release is being more
conservative on an API level.  I'm not trying to flame, I just don't
see where you're coming from.

josh
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe kernel-packagers" in

[Site Home]     [Linux IBM ACPI]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux Laptop]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Share Photos]     [Security]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Rubini]     [Photo]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Device Mapper]     [Linux Resources]