Re: Kernel almost hangs when CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:08:28PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> > > So, hypothetically speaking, hpa suggested then that we could pass
> > > firmware blobs over the linked list setup_data thing in the real-mode
> > > kernel header and parse_setup_data() can look at them and map them
> > > somewhere later for the driver to find. This should be doable because
> > > you're only gonna need a handful of blobs for CPU ucode, network and GPU
> > > if the last is compiled in.
> > >
> > > I wanted to take a serious look at that for the ucode loading, maybe I
> > > should try to shuffle some time for it...
> >
> > It would be very useful, yes.
> >
> > Alternatively, you could extend the initrd format to have a firmware
> > directory appended after the filesystem image.  ACPI is going to abuse
> > the initrd in just that way to override ACPI tables very soon (patches
> > have been already submitted to linux-acpi),
>
> .. lemme guess: they didn't put the correct tables in the BIOS in the
> first place and now it is too late for a BIOS fix and want to shuffle in
> all those "fixes" through initrd ontop of ACPI. Oh boy, do I love all
> the ACPI crap stories :).

Heh.

Actually, the patches were created by a distro for debug purposes.  No
vendor pushed for them.  But it is a safe bet that users will end up using
them to work around ACPI vendor crap that will never get fixed properly
through a BIOS update, etc.

  Henrique Holschuh