Re: Logitech MX5500 Bluetooth mouse middle 'button' does not work

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM, jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Eric Paris <eparis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I just got a new Logitech MX5500 bluetooth keyboard mouse combo.  I
>> had no problem at all getting them recognized and connected using the
>> built in bluetooth on my Lenovo X200 laptop.  My problem is with the
>> middle mouse 'button.'  On all of my other mice clicking the scroll
>> wheel acted as a middle button.  On this new mouse it makes a noise
>> like a 'click' but it doesn't do anything.  I launched evtest and see
>> events for everything on the mouse (it has a thumb scroll whell, extra
>> buttons, all sorts of stuff) but it gives no event for 'click'ing the
>> scroll wheel. (I do see events for scrolling the scroll wheel)
> It has never worked as far as I know. The middle button on the mouse
> reports as device 0 which the input layer is not expecting. I gave up
> trying to get it to work.
>
> This makes the back button near your thumb work as the middle button:
> /usr/bin/xinput set-button-map "Logitech MX Revolution Mouse" 1 2 3 4 5 6 2 2
>
> I have it in .bashrc but it really should be in a udev script. The
> mouse occasionally disconnects/reconnect. In udev the command would
> get automatically reapplied.

If I run your command by hand it works.  I created a udev rule to try
to auto-run the command and it does not work.

ATTR{address}=="00:1F:20:3A:C8:BD", ACTION=="add",
RUN+="/usr/bin/xinput set-button-map "Logitech MX Revolution Mouse" 1
2 3 4 5 6 2 2"

I know the udev rule is triggered, because when I replaced it with
/bin/touch /tmp/logitech the file was created in /tmp every time the
mouse turned on.  Now I'm trying to figure out why it doesn't work as
a udev rule.  Anyone thoughts?  If not, at least I have one way to get
it mostly working.  Thanks so much everyone!