Re: IIO: move out of staging plan.

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 02:50:29PM +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A recent discussion led to Greg saying he was happy to move IIO out
> of staging.  I observed that there were some pieces where this would
> make sense, but a number of drivers have substantial userspace interface
> issues so a wholesale move was not going to be a good idea.  There
> are even a few bits of out of date documentation.
>
> I finished by saying I'd start another thread to discuss what to move.
>
> Now there are quite a few patches under review at the moment, but if
> we wait for everything to be quiet the move will never happen!  So
> sorry if your patch requires some adjustment as it crossed with Greg
> moving things.  I have a few of my own in this state so I share your pain!
>
> Anyhow, breaking things up into bite sized parts.
>
> 1) Move the core headers
> 2) Move the core code.
> 3) Move core and abi documentation.
> 4) Move some drivers.
>
> 5) Long term move rest of drivers.
>

> 1. Is simple enough.  There are probably cleaner ways of doing it
> but the following script does the job...
>
> headers='iio.h types.h buffer.h events.h sysfs.h trigger.h
> trigger_consumer.h machine.h driver.h consumer.h kfifo_buf.h'
>
> for str in $headers
> do
>     echo updating references to $str
>     find drivers/staging/iio -type f -exec sed -i
> 's#"'$str'"#<linux/iio/'$str'>#' {} \;
>     echo updating references to ../$str
>     find drivers/staging/iio -type f -exec sed -i
> 's#"../'$str'"#<linux/iio/'$str'>#' {} \;
> done
>
> mkdir  include/linux/iio
> for str in $headers
> do
>     echo moving $str
>     git mv drivers/staging/iio/$str include/linux/iio/
> done

Do you want me to do this?  Or do you want to send me a patch that does
it?

> 2) Is just a case of moving some of the contents of the base
> staging/iio/ directory and pulling the relevant bits from the Kconfig.
> (I'm happy to do a patch for this if it helps...)
>
> I'd propose moving...
>
> iio_core.h
> iio_core_trigger.h
> industrialio-buffer.c
> industrialio-core.c
> industrialio-event.c
> industrialio-trigger.c
> inkern.c
> kfifo_buf.c
>
> Which gives us the whole core + the simplest (and least controversial)
> buffer implementation.

Sounds good, send me a patch :)

> 3) move sysfs-bus-iio to experimental abi directory. The other abi docs
> at least need a close read through before the move. They typically cover
> individual drivers or the more esoteric driver classes.

Also looks sane.

> 4) Drivers.  This mainly comes down to working out what to move.  Quite
> a few will need minor changes to headers to pull out the bits (usually
> highlighted by documenation) that are platform data related and hence
> need to go into include/linux/iio rather than being local to the driver
> directory.  The other nasty is that a lot of drivers depend on sw_ring.
> So the question is whether we move them wholesale over to kfifo_buf or
> pull sw_ring out of staging with the view that we'll replace it with
> something better at a later date?  My dislike for this ring
> implemenation is well documented!

I'll leave that decision to you, but I would suggest just picking one
ring implementation if at all possible.  kfifo would be the recommended
one, why would you not use it?

> 5) There lots of hideous drivers that will need work.  Hopefully the
> sheer embarasement of being left in staging and hence labeled bad
> will motivate people to clean them up ;)

That should happen over time, otherwise I can always threaten to delete
them, which should cause people to wake up :)

> To my mind, the priority is moving the headers, core and main documentation.
>
> What do people think?  Mostly how we do this comes down to what
> process works well for Greg.

Sending me a patch for the first 3, or if you don't want to, I can do it
as well, which ever is easier for you is fine with me.

thanks,

greg k-h