Single host/multiple hwifs vs. multiple hosts?

Hi all,

I'm wondering what are the differences between adding a single IDE host with
multiple hwifs vs. adding a separate IDE host for each hwif?
Do both ways work?

I'm asking because I want to convert the Amiga Buddha IDE driver to the new
driver model, using Multi Function Devices (many Zorro expansion cards contain
multiple devices):
  - A Catweasel expansion card would have:
      * 2 Buddha IDE MFD cells,
      * 1 Catweasel floppy MFD cell.
  - A Buddha expansion card would have:
      * 3 Buddha IDE MFD cells.
  - An X-Surf expansion card would have:
      * 2 Buddha IDE MFD cells,
      * 1 8390 Ethernet cell.
Registering a separate IDE host/hwif for each IDE MFD cell would be easier to
handle than a single IDE host with multiple IDE hwifs.

Thanks in advance!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds