Re: Western Digital Scorpio and ICH10R on Debian - NCQ issue?

On 07/12/2011 10:21 AM, Sandra Escandor wrote:
The Situation:
It appears that a WRITE FPDMA QUEUED failed command causes driver
timeouts - this in turn locks up the RAID (which once worked pretty
well). This occurred during high I/O.

The question:
1. Is it a good idea to turn off NCQ? I've read in different posts that
it helps some, but not others - I'm currently on the way to getting an
experimental box setup, but I wanted to confirm if this was a good idea.

Not really a solution to anything, at least not likely in this case. More of a workaround that might happen to work by chance.

2. Are there known issues with the ICH10R + WD7500BPKT-00PK4T0 and the
libata driver?

Nothing known, no.

The System:
Four WDC WD7500BPKT-00PK4T0 drives (Western Digital Scorpio) - in RAID10
array created using mdadm 3.1.4
ICH10R sata controller.
Kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64

The fact that you have multiple drives and the problem tends to occur during heavy I/O may point to a power issue. This has been known to happen when some of the drives aren't getting enough power when there are spikes in power draw during I/O access. In this case, using a beefier power supply or spreading the drives out across different cables from the PSU may help.