Re: PMP and SEMB messages to SEP

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:18:51AM -0600, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 16:40 +0100, Tejun Heo wrote:
> > (cc'ing linux-scsi)
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 06:37:59PM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > > Fair enough, let's start with a bunch of simple questions
> > > I got from looking at the code (which I did just recently,
> > > so don't expect deep understanding of the inner workings,
> > > or even intelligent questions FWIW :)
> > >
> > > - libata is used in the kernel for ata, sata and to some
> > >   extend for scsi (via (s)ata), as a helper library.
> >
> > The (s) there is Serial not SCSI, but yes some SAS drivers use libata
> > to drive SATA devices attached to SAS controllers.
> >
> > >   is there any counterpart in userspace to communicate
> > >   with (s)ata host/devices or how are the interfaces to
> > >   userspace designed to work?
> >
> > SG_IO is the standard way to issue custom commands.  You need to wrap
> > ATA command inside a SCSI SCSI-ATA passthrough command.  Take a look
> > at hdparm, smartctl or any other tool which issues direct commands.
> >
> > > - the SiI3726 supports SAF-TE and SES protocols for the
> > >   SEMB/SEP and the EMCs are sent through the SATA interface
> > >   (according to the docu, SEP_ATTN in the command register
> > >   and SEP command code in the features register)
> > >
> > >   + how would I send such a command and retrieve the result
> > >     (if there is one) from within the kernel (maybe with
> > >     libata or from the ahci layer)?
> >
> > If it's a proper command SAT passthrough via SG_IO should work but I'm
> > not sure whether it is.  Is it?
>
> it sounds like it can be sent via ATA_12 or ATA_16 then depending on
> what it does to the device state model.
>
> > > - the SiI3726 supports GPIO pins, which can be reached via
> > >   the General Status and Control Register [130] and accoring
> > >   to the docu, the Read/Write Port Multiplier command can
> > >   be used to read/write that register.
> > >
> > >   + how would I go about issuing such a command and where
> > >     should it be done? i.e. what about interference with
> > >     other commands? what about retrieving return values?
> >
> > The problem is that the PMP device itself is currently not allocated
> > a userland visible device, so it doesn't have any /dev/* node.
> > Hmmm...
>
> So perhaps it should be. If you look at the equivalent topology on
> SAS, our expanders have a bsg device node precisely so that we can do
> this.

I agree, the PMP should get a device or at least some kind of
interface to address them, especially as the SATA topology can
get quite complicated too, for example it seems that PMPs can
be daisy chained in an infinite sequence like this

       /      /      /
 --[PM]---[PM]---[PM]-- - -
       \      \      \

> That said, SAS expanders have a defined protocol (SAS Management
> Protocol) to talk to the outside world, so they are real visible objects
> always in our topology ... I'm not sure PMP has this ... it seems that
> all PMP visibility is an extension to the standard?

At least to me it seems, PMPs do have a defined protocol as
well, otherwise the PM 1.0/1.1 protocol specificiation would
not make much sense, IMHO ...

> > > I saw that the ahci driver uses *em_message* which I
> > > think might be related to sending activity messages and
> > > it also lists capabilities (which include 'ems') on
> > > host adapters, but I'm not entirely sure this is SEMB
> > > related (yet)
> >
> > The message sent there can be of any format and that's why it was
> > added as a separate sysfs node.
> >
> > ISTR there's a SCSI enclosure management driver.  Maybe SCSI people
> > have better clues about how enclosure management should be done?
>
> Sure, as long as it speaks standard ses-2, there shouldn't be a
> protocol problem. The main problem is recognition: ses has to bind
> to an enclosure device. It can bind either to an explicit device
> (about all the enclosures I've seen so far) where the ses device has
> a separate address in the SCSI topology or an implicit device (where
> another SCSI device indicates it has an enclosure port embedded in
> it). As currently coded, our ses driver only does the former probably
> the best way is to expose the ses device via libata and we'll simply
> bind to it.

so AHCI em_messages use standard ses-2 or did I misinterpret
this (for me cryptical) information?

in any case, thanks,
Herbert