Re: [patch 2.6.29-davinci1 git] dm6446evm CF support

Hello.

David Brownell wrote:

+config MACH_DAVINCI_EVM_CF
+     bool "Use CompactFlash, not IDE drive"
+     depends on MACH_DAVINCI_EVM && BLK_DEV_PALMCHIP_BK3710
+     help
+       Enable this if you want to use a CompactFlash card instead of
+       an IDE/ATA drive.  The CF card will be used in "True IDE" mode.
+
+       At this writing, CF insert and remove events are not supported.
+       Insert the CF at boot time, and leave it there until you power
+       the system off.
+

This instruction is already obsolete. As I've already noted, IDE core now supports warm plug via sysfs, see Documentation/ide/warm-plug-howto.txt. One can plug and unplug any time, this just won't be automatically noticed by the kernel, so one will need to notify it.

CF insert and remove events are very different from writing
some sysfs files.  They are handled through a pcmcia_socket
abstraction ... and are completely hands-off.  Socket events
include card insert/removal detection, and socket operations
include power on/off and reset.  I don't know that "true-IDE"
links work through those sockets, though.

That said ... I tried that manual workaround; it didn't work.

So:  no, that instruction is far from obsolete.

So, it would only work with real hard disks... sigh. Sorry for disinformation then -- I hoped warm plug could've been helpful for CF.

MBR, Sergei