Re: Fw: Fw: AX.25

Hi folkert, I'm on the same wavelength as you are. I have two beaglebone boards with tnc-x packet using linux angstrom. It's been a real battle to find a simple way to communicate between the two without getting tied into the various software packages. At this point I realize that I should have gone to the raspberry-pi board but I have money tied up in the two boards I have now. To top it off the beaglebone black is the one all the support is going to now and I have a beaglebone white. This has caused me to learn a lot more which is good in the end. What I have finally come down to is this which is kind of a cool experimental platform to talk between two stations.

Setup the basic ax25d stuff so you have your ax25d daemon running. You don't need to worry about getting the tcp stuff all routed. Once you have that going you can setup a port to listen like this

listen MYPORT >> listen.log&

at this point you can log any incoming to the listen.log and to bring it to the console;

tail -f listen.log

On your other station you can use the program "beacon" to send messages;

beacon  -m -d KE6ACW-1 MYPORT2 "my message I want to send"

At this point you have setup a simple communication system and you can pipe the listen program to a python (or your flavor) script to process or send the data any way you like.

I'm still looking for a better program than beacon to do the transmit so that might be a program that needs to be written. There are a lot of programs with source code out there for reference. Many of the linux APRS type programs have this code. Maybe someone out there has a better solution but that is about as simple as I could get it on an embedded system.

--Joe Goforth
KE6ACW