Re: Netrom: Quality issue

On 7/7/2013 9:59 AM, David Ranch wrote:

I agree with Cathryn that this is a "as designed" issue though I'd argue we should CHANGE it. Specifically, the Linux netromd man page says "RECEIVED from a routing broadcast" where as

My concern about changing this is that for a configuration like the one here, basically nodes will only get added if they come in as quality 255. That is the (254*120 + 128)/256 = 119.

	# ax25_name min_obs def_qual worst_qual verbose
	#

	1	5	120	120	0

Kantronics KPC3+ - http://www.kantronics.com/documents/kpc-3plus_manual_RevD.pdf
"
Page 137
. . .
When K-Net hears neighbor node (A) transmit a node broadcast, it
computes the quality to distant nodes (B, C, D, etc.) contained in that broadcast by using the quality that is assigned to neighbor node (A). If the ***resultant computation*** is less than MINQUAL, the distant nodes (B, C, D, etc.) are not
added to the nodes table (see QUALITY command).
--

I also looked around for finding the default for the X1J TNC but couldn't find a clear citable URL but I believe the default there is 140.

--David

Err, I don't think it's really a bug. He's probably got a node coming in at quality 120 and then it does (120 * 120 +128)/256 Maybe update the man page to explain what's going on.

worstqual this is the worst quality node received from a routing broadcast that will be added
                            to our routing table.