Re: Soundmodem hangs all USB keyboard or mouse input -- and soundmodem 0.16: fix the AFSK modulator for 300 baud operation

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012, David Ranch wrote:

I've CCed the Linuxhams group as I'm curious if any of you have any thoughts on why Soundmodem would be shutting down all USB-based keyboard and mouse functionality until the process is killed! In all my years of Linux, I've never need something like this. Very strange and any/all comments would be very much appreciated!

I've seen something kind of like it on my motherboard at home that has an NVidia 8200 chipset integrated in.

If I plug in _any_ USB 1.x devices, the whole Linux USB stack crashes and I lose keyboard/mouse (if they're USB).

It's a known problem with the NVidia chipset and the USB 1.x controller they integrated into it.  Their USB 2.x controller doesn't have the problem.

My fix:  Plug in a USB smart hub, plug the USB 1.x devices into that:  The motherboard only sees USB 2.x protocol and everything works great.

The device that caused it in my case:  A USB SignaLink box that I use to do digital modes on HF.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Wiki:  http://info.aprs.net/