Re: RS232-USB conversion

Le 18/10/2011 à 22:07, Miroslav Skoric a écrit :

OK guys, thank you all for your advices ...will see about compiling FBB
when I return from a conference trip. Btw, after a long time of avoiding
to purchase a laptop/notebook comp (and still living well without a
cellphone :-)), I have been thinking about an inexpensive portable comp
that could run not only PPT (or similarly formatted) scientific
presentations, but also to give me an opportunity to run my TNC2S (an
old German-made TNC), which connects over RS232. I do not know if some
of you have experience with some of those adapters that convert an USB
output of a laptop to a RS232 connector of a TNC. I heard that some
adapters (if not all) come with a kind of software that makes them
thinking that the computer still has COM1, COM2, etc, but I don't know
if such software works only in M$ world or/and in Linux too. (In the
other words, I would like to have a relatively modern machine, but to
avoid buying an expensive one that is still equipped with RS232.)

Opinions?

Hi Miroslav,

I guess all those devices come at least with a Windows driver, but regarding Linux you shouldn't have any problem either, as most of the converters out there are based on FTDI or Prolific chipsets, which have been supported out-of-the-box by linux kernels for at least several years now. They usually are seen as /dev/ttyACMxx or /dev/ttyUSBxx respectively, and flow-control signals are also correctly dealt with.

However, I heard (or rather read) some people stating that though all devices seemed to work fine for rig-control purposes, they had problems when using Prolific-based converters for FSK, which weren't quick enough (the issue seemed to be driver-related). This information is quite old now, but if you want to avoid problems, you should probably favour FTDI-based converters if you intend to use them with your TNC.

Best regards,

Bruno - F8FIV