Re: Looking for Packet Radio Software

All,

I had mixed success with a variety of packet programs under Debian Linux v4.3

1. Xarpm - native Linux Winpack look-alike. I found the program slightly unstable, incomplete, but looking promising. The installer was, in my opinion, very convoluted. The author appears to have done a disappearing trick but there is a list on Yahoo.

2. Tsthwin (registered) - had it working under Wine but there were mail issues. The author has vanished.

3. TSTHOST (DOS) - had this one working under DOSEMU

4. LinKT - native Linux packet terminal program. Eventually managed to get it to compile and it worked ok. There is still reference to it on www and the source is still available.

5. Winpack - never managed to sort out the dll's it needed in Wine. Each time I imported dll's from Windows, it wanted more. I gave up.

6. Linpac - native Linux terminal program with mail facilities. It's a CLI program but runs in a terminal ok. The mail program disconnected after the first packet exchange with a bbs. I spent many hours looking at source code for answers but I'm not a programmer. Others reported the same issue. No support since about 2002 but source still available.

7. TPK - should have worked in DOSEMU but kept failing and I abandoned it through lack of time.

8. TNT/DPBOX - native Linux, stable. I looked more at the bbs side as a replacement for fbb. Very complicated configuration file, made a little worse at times by the German/English conversion and, some use of German terminology. That's not a complaint, just an observation. I think the TNT/DPBOX combination had more future than any of the others. The program offers some advanced features such as broadcast mode for mail exchange.

There may have been others but the memory battery went flat a long time ago!

Ray vk2tv