Re: USB converters and old hardware

Doug,et alia:

The last Keyspan unit I had went to a customer (they needed it and paid a premium to buy my personal unit, something I had been preferential to avoid), and I never replaced it until I had an emergent need for one again, at which point I got one of the Prolific chipset based units. It works okay, and their drivers seem to be up to date, but I have a bit more trust in Keyspan to persistently provision MacOS drivers for newer variants of MacOS as time goes on.

One thing I am entirely interested in doing is getting a dual serial port USB cable, so I can use it for monitoring serial communications (data scope type functionality) between two devices (which I do have occasion to do sometimes). There is a piece of software that does data scope type functions (it is part of the "chirp" project for programming D-STAR radios) that does compile and function within the MacOS environment.

A unit from pimfg.com was recommended, but I never took the time to verify its compatibility level as far as Linux and MacOS goes (I always presume that these devices are Windows compliant for the most part), though pimfg.com generally has excellent prices on Chinese cable type stuff.

I was unaware of the multiport variants of the Keyspan, but I'd sure like to pick one up or review the specifications for it. I had also considered an FTDI based chipset device too, since their support across platforms seem to be very pervasive.

V/R,

Stuart, N3GWG

Quoting "Douglas Cole" <doug.n7bfs@xxxxxxxxx>:

I have to agree, I use the Keyspan adapters at work and at home.
They work for me as well, both the multiport devices as well as the
single port ones (USA19-HS)...
Port replicator for my work HP laptop gives me a 'real' serial port
(COM1 in Win32 land)...

Doug
N7BFS

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:52 AM, IT2 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR