USB converters and old hardware

Thank you for reading this.

I have two old hardware items that I would like to put back into service.

The first is a Baycom style modem that of course does not work with USB to
serial converters because of the non-standard way in which the modem
interacts with the serial port. An acquaintance told me that genuine USB to
serial converters are available but a Google search does not indicate this to
be true. Can anyone suggest how I might be able to use this modem again?

The second question is more programming related and concerns a hardware
item that used to operate via a parallel port. I thought a USB to parallel
converter would easily solve this problem but it does not. The converter
does allow me to use an old printer and it does cause /dev/parport0 to be
generated. The problem is that ioctl(fd,PPCLAIM) now causes the following
error message to be displayed:

"Parport claim: No such device or address"

This indicates to me that the parallel converter does what it is intended to
do, allow the use of old printers, but nothing else. Is there an alternative
way to programme such a port? I've played with the outport C instruction
briefly but I'm unsure of the base address of the port. Are genuine serial and
parallel ports available for newer computers?

I'm reluctant to build new gear when the old stuff works perfectly.

--
Regards,
Phil