Re: Things I wish I'd known about Inotify

On 04/07/2014 11:31 AM, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Sun 06-04-14 11:00:29, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>>   Yes, that would be good.

>>>   Yeah, it's unpleasant but doing that would be quite costly/complex at the
>>> kernel side.
>>
>> Yep, I imagined that was probably the reason.
>   I had a look into that code again and it's all designed around the fact
> that there's a single inode to notify. If you liked to have atomic rename
> notifications, you'd have to rewrite that to work with two inodes, finding
> out whether these two inodes are actually watched by the same group or
> not... Doable but complex. Alternatively you could just lock down the whole
> notification subsystem while generating rename events. But that's rather
> costly. Just that we have the complications written down somewhere in case
> someone wants to look into this in future.
>
>>> And the race would in the worst case lead to application
>>> thinking there's been file moved outside of watched area & a file moved
>>> somewhere else inside the watched area. So the application will have to
>>> possibly inspect that file. That doesn't seem too bad.
>>
>> It's actually very bad. See the text above. The point is that one likely
>> treatment on an IN_MOVED_FROM event that has no IN_MOVED_TO is to remove
>> the watches for the moved out subtree. If it turns out that this really
>> was just a rename(), then on the IN_MOVED_TO, the watches will be recreated
>> *with different watch descriptors*, thus invalidating the watch descriptors
>> in any queued but as yet unprocessed inotify events. See what I mean?
>> That's quite painful for user space.

Sorry for the late follow-up....

>   But if I understand it right, you loose only the information for recreated
> watches. So you effectively loose all the information about what has
> happened inside the subtree of moved directory (or what has happened with
> the moved file). But since you think it's a file / dir moved from outside
> of watched area, you have to fully rescan that file / dir anyway.

Ack on you summary there.

> Sure
> that's costly but if your heuristics for detecting rename works 99.9% of
> time it should be OK, shouldn't it? And you have to have that code handling
> caching file / dir written anyway for handling real moves from outside of
> watched hierarchy.

And ack on that.

> Don't get me wrong, I understand it would be easier for userspace to get
> atomic rename notifications, I'm just trying to understand what exactly is
> painful so that I can compare the cost at the kernel side with the cost at
> the userspace side...

Yes, I was probably a little too strong in my statement. My perspective
is that I'd tried to write an (experimental) application that would track
*all* events for a file tree (modulo queue overflow), and then I
encountered the wall of "rename() events are not consecutive", which
basically rendered that task impossible because of the races involved.

All that you say above also fits with my understanding. I was just
(perhaps overly) disappointed to find that I couldn't (perfectly)
achieve the tracking task that I'd attempted. (And furthermore, of
course, the code became a bit more complicated to handle the
possibility that some queued events may be for watch descriptors
that are no longer valid.)

Thanks for your response.

Cheers,

Michael