ksoftirqd process

Hi,
I want to have bridge for two NICs (eth0 and eth1) with Knoppix 6.2 Live CD on virtualbox. I tried the following commands;

# brctl addbr br0
# brctl sethello 30
# brctl stp br0 off

# ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
# ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
# ifconfig eth0 down
# ifconfig eth1 down

# brctl addif br0 eth0
# brctl addif br0 eth1

After the addition of eth0 and eth1 to the bridge, the ksoftirq gets kicked off and starts consuming CPU. The connection to network is lost. The CPU utilization never stabilizes even after waiting for 10-15 minutes. Knoppix 6.2 has kernel 2.6.32.6 and bridge-utils is the latest version from debian repositories.

Firstly, am I missing something?
Secondly, is it possible to have a setup I am attempting with the live cd?

Thanks,
Pravin
and any attachments. Thank you