Re: What are actually ethernet devices (and what does a bridge do?).

2010/6/30 richardvoigt@xxxxxxxxx <richardvoigt@xxxxxxxxx>:
> The host processor which does the bridging, can also act as a node
> sending and receiving traffic to the bridged network.  What you see as
> the "IP address of the bridge" is actually the configuration of the
> interface representing this connection to the host processor.
>
> Packets generated on the bridge host use this IP address as the source
> address, packets sent to this IP address are processed locally on the
> bridge host and not forwarded.

Ok, but then you're talking about a router for example, but I see a
lot of setups for machines hosting
other virtual machines, where the bridge gets also an ip address,
which does not make sense to me.

The function of a bridge is to share the physical device with more
ethernet devices (virtual because they are not connected to a real
device), and that's it.

Being a bridge between devices and an interface self at the same time
is confusing.

About creating virtual devices, does anyone know how to create them?
I've found veth, looks very promising,
but they seem to come in pairs.

Thanks,

Stef Bon