DVICO FusionHDTV5 USB unable to find symbol lgdt330x_attach

I'm having a problem with the device listed above.

Relevant facts:

DVICO FusionHDTV5 USB device (USB device ID 0fe9:d501)
Gentoo 2.6.26, running kernel gentoo-sources 2.6.26-r4 (dvb drivers initially from kernel only)

The following is the dmesg log at bootup:

dvb-usb: found a 'DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold' in warm state.
i2c-adapter i2c-1: adapter [DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold] registered
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
DVB: registering new adapter (DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold)
DVB: Unable to find symbol lgdt330x_attach()
dvb-usb: no frontend was attached by 'DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold'
input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /class/input/input5
dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 100 msecs.
dvb-usb: DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold successfully initialized and connected.
usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_cxusb

Main error here is the unable to find symbol lgdt330x_attach() line. Not sure what is happening here. Was on #linuxtv last night and on a hunch, we disconnected the device, manually modprobe'd lgdt330x and reconnected, and all was fine.  Recommendation was to install from the latest drivers from mercurial, which I have done.  I still get the same symptoms as indicated above.  If I then disconnect and reconnect (even without the modprobe), I get the rest of the log, as indicated below, which makes everything successful:

usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 3
i2c-adapter i2c-1: adapter [DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold] unregistered
dvb-usb: DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold successfully deinitialized and disconnected

usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
dvb-usb: found a 'DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold' in cold state, will try to load a
firmware
firmware: requesting dvb-usb-bluebird-01.fw
dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-bluebird-01.fw'
usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 4
dvb-usb: generic DVB-USB module successfully deinitialized and disconnected.
usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
dvb-usb: found a 'DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold' in warm state.
i2c-adapter i2c-1: adapter [DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold] registered
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
DVB: registering new adapter (DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold)
DVB: Unable to find symbol lgdt330x_attach()
dvb-usb: no frontend was attached by 'DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold'
input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /class/input/input6
dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 100 msecs.
dvb-usb: DViCO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold successfully initialized and connected.

Any ideas here?