arch_random_refill

Hi Peter,

some time back when the RDRAND instruction was debated, a patch was offered
for driver/char/random.c that in essence turned /dev/random into a frontend
for RDRAND in case that instruction was available. The patch kind of
monopolized the noise sources such that if a user space "random number hog"
pulled data from /dev/random endlessly, the (almost) only noise source was
RDRAND. As that patch treated RDRAND to provide entropy, the blocking behavior
went away for /dev/random.

That patch did not sit well with some developers and it got finally changed
such that the output of RDRAND is now just XORed with the output of the
"classic" /dev/random behavior -- /dev/random is still blocking.

With the current development cycle for 3.15, the function arch_random_refill
is added as presented in [1]. It now uses RDSEED instead of RDRAND. Yet, the
way this function is called in random_read seems (as I have no system with an
RDSEED, I cannot test) to show the very same behavior as the aforementioned
RDRAND patch: the blocking behavior of /dev/random will be gone and RDSEED
will monopolize the noise sources in case of a user space hog.

Note, I do not see an issue with the patch that adds RDSEED as part of
add_interrupt_randomness outlined in [2]. The reason is that this patch does
not monopolizes the noise sources.

I do not want to imply that Intel (or any other chip manufacturer that will
hook into arch_random_refill) intentionally provides bad entropy (and this
email shall not start a discussion about entropy again), but I would like to
be able to only use noise sources that I can fully audit. As it is with
hardware, I am not able to see what it is doing.

Thus, may I ask that arch_random_refill is revised such that it will not
monopolize the noise sources? If somebody wants that, he can easily use rngd.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/3/4/968

[2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/3/4/934

Thanks
Stephan