Re: [RFD] Merge task counter into memcg

Hello, Frederic.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 06:59:27PM +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> I want:
>
> a) to prevent the forkbomb from going far enough to DDOS the machine
> b) to be able to kill that forkbomb once detected, in one go without race
> against concurrent forks.
>
> I think a) can work just fine with kernel stack limiting. I also need
> to be notified about the fact we reached the limit. And b) should
> be feasible with the help of the cgroup freezer.

kmem allocation fail after reaching the limit which in turn should
fail task creation.  Isn't that the same effect as the task_counter as
implemented?

> > Is there anything for which you need to know exactly the number of
> > processes?
>
> No that's really about prevent/kill forkbomb as far as I'm concerned.

Hmm... so, accounting overhead aside, if the only purpose is
preventing the whole machine being brought down by a fork bomb, kmem
limiting is enough, right?

Thanks.

--
tejun