Re: VT console need rewrite
- To: Microcai <microcai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: VT console need rewrite
- From: Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:58:23 +0100
- Cc: "Ted Ts'o" <tytso@xxxxxxx>, Lisa Milne <lisa@xxxxxxxxxx>, "jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-console@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <1291023157.9785.2.camel@xxxxxxxxxx>
- List-id: <linux-console.vger.kernel.org>
- Mail-followup-to: Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Microcai <microcai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ted Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx>, Lisa Milne <lisa@xxxxxxxxxx>, "jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-console@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- References: <1290941875.13526.15.camel@xxxxxxxxxx> <73BC440E-833E-4E1B-ACCC-5D68BAB89D83@xxxxxxx> <1290951770.13526.18.camel@xxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTimQDWHo4-8-H+5bB_uzrgzU=gqbDBuerq983moR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <20101129020610.7ea7c79e.lisa@xxxxxxxxxx> <1290961207.13526.31.camel@xxxxxxxxxx> <20101128194624.GP2767@xxxxxxxxx> <1290993244.877.3.camel@xxxxxxxxxx> <20101129085829.GM5142@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <1291023157.9785.2.camel@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Sender: linux-console-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Mutt/1.5.12-2006-07-14
Microcai, le Mon 29 Nov 2010 17:32:37 +0800, a Ãcrit :
> å 2010-11-29äç 09:58 +0100ïSamuel Thibaultåéï
> > Microcai, le Mon 29 Nov 2010 09:14:04 +0800, a Ãcrit :
> > > Hey, my old patch already did it , and do not break any old stuff.
> > To your knowledge. IIRC while reading your patch I found a couple of
> > things that would most probably break some corner cases, which could
> > go unnoticed, that's why I proposed to first extend the internal vc
> > content matrix into unicode values, so as to clearly have to upgrade all
> > drivers.
> I doesn't matter *how to do* .
Concerning breaking existing stuff, yes, it does.
> I have many different kinds of patchs that did it in different ways.
> What realy matters is that, do we agree that add unicode font support is
> acceptable ?
Simple unicode font (i.e. just go beyond the arbitrary historical-vga
512 glyphs limit for fbcon) might go in. Double-width is questionable,
but it can probably simple enough to be able to get in (there is already
some code for it anyway).
But complete unicode support (with arabic ligatures, tibetan
combinations, etc.) won't ever be accepted in the kernel as that's far
too involved in terms of font rendering. So the userland way needs to
be fixed for these anyway, and then things like chinese will go along...
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-console" in
the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
[Index of Archives]
[Video 4 Linux]