Re: High iowait

Hi,

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 04:31, jassduec@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a storage raid attached to my linux server running CentOS 4.3
> kernel 2.6.9-39.0.2.ELsmp. My server goes into huge iowait when i try
> to read/write lot of data to the storage device. How can i debug
> whether the problem is with the storage device or some setting of the
> operating system. Is there any known issue with this kernel? How can i
> tune my system to reduce iowait time?

Why should you want to reduce the iowait time? Iowait, as shown by top, means
afaik that there are some processes waiting for io to complete  and nothing
else to do for the processor.
If you're running some CPU eating processes while your I/O operations are
performed, then the iowait value should go down (this is because your CPU can
then do more sophisticated work than waiting)

Regards,
Lothar

[Site Home]     [Audio]     [Hams]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Memory]     [Security]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Writing Drivers]     [Photo]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Samba]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Linux Resources]     [Fedora Users]
Add to Google Powered by Linux