getch() in linux

Hi all,

Please help me understand whats the use of getch() in linux

the man page says this ! but couldnt comprehend much out of it

 The getch, wgetch, mvgetch and mvwgetch, routines read a character
from the window.  In no-delay mode, if no input is waiting,
 the value ERR is returned.  In delay mode, the program waits until
the system passes text through to the  program.   Depending
 on  the setting of cbreak, this is after one character (cbreak mode),
or after the first newline (nocbreak mode).  In half-de‐
 lay mode, the program waits until a character is typed or the
specified timeout has been reached.

what is delay mode they are talking about?

and can some one give me a simple example for it ?

do i ave to know abt ncurses to understand it ?

--
Regards,
~Sid~