Re: Slow Write Performance w/ No Cache Enabled and Different Size Drives

On Apr 22, 2014, at 11:56 AM, Hugo Mills <hugo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Also not helped by btrfs's co-option of the term "RAID-1" to mean
> something that's not traditional RAID-1, and (internally) "stripe" and
> "chunk" to mean things that don't match (I think) any of the
> definitions above…

Right. Although in btrfs's defense, if there's a single term that no one agrees on it's stripe. If any word ought to be deprecated as functionally useless beyond repair, it's that one.

But no, what SNIA did was deprecate chunk leaving it in some sense fair game for anyone to use a generic and otherwise meaningless term like btrfs does. Except for the fact that most everywhere else including md/mdadm it is very much in-use, means a very specific thing, and should not have been usurped for that reason alone.

I have an idea, let's have a gram and grame. Gram is gram, but grame is kilogram. The e will be silent, and makes the a change from a short sound to a long sound. And we'll make grame element equal to a gram, just in case people need a compound word when a single word for the base unit should be sufficient. And then we'll deprecate kilogram. Perfect! It's not confusing AT ALL! Everyone will love and adopt this right away instead of completely totally ignore it.

Truly, we are apes that just happen to wear pants.

Chris Murphy--

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystem Development]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]