Re: free space inode generation (0) did not match free space cache generation

Hugo Mills posted on Tue, 25 Mar 2014 20:10:20 +0000 as excerpted:

> Did you mean "fated": intended, destined?

No, I meant "feted", altho I understand in Europe the first "e" would
likely have a carot-hat (fêted), but us US-ASCII folks don't have such a
thing easily available, so unless I copy/paste as I just did or use
charselect, "feted" without the carot it is.

Where I've seen "feted" used it tends to have a slightly future-
predictive hint to it, something that's considered a "shoe-in" to use
another term, but that isn't necessarily certain just yet.  Alternatively
or as well, it can mean something that many or the majority considers/
celebrates as true, but that the author isn't necessarily taking a
particular position on at this time, perhaps as part of the traditional
journalist's neutral observer's perspective, saying "other people
celebrate it as", without personally 100% endorsing the same position.

Which fit my usage exactly.  I wanted to indicate that btrfs' position as
a successor to the ext3/4 throne is a widely held expectation, but that
while I agree with the general sentiment, it's with a "wait and see if/
when these few details get fixed" attitude, because I don't think that a
btrfs that a knowledgeable admin must babysit in ordered to be sure it
doesn't run out of unallocated chunks, for example, is quite ready for
usage by "the masses", that is, to take the throne as crowned successor
to ext3/4 just yet.  And "feted" seemed the perfect word to express and
acknowledge that expectation, while at the same time conveying my slight
personal reservation.

In fact, until I looked up the word I had no idea the word could also be
used as a noun in addition to my usage as a verb, and used as a noun,
that it meant a feast, celebration or carnival.  I was familiar only with
the usage I demonstrated here, including the slight hint of third party
neutrality or wait-and-see reservation, which was in fact my reason for
choosing the term in the first place.

(This is of course one reason I so enjoy newsgroups and mailing lists.
One never knows what sort of entirely unpredicted but useful thing one
might learn from them, even in my own replies sometimes! =:^)