Re: Btrfs RAID1 File System Grew Something Extra

On 12-18-13 10:46:29 Anand Jain wrote:
> On 12/18/2013 10:03 AM, Garry T. Williams wrote:
> > I have been using btrfs for my /home partition on my home machine for
> > a few years now.  I created the file system RAID1 using two disk
> > partitions.  Recently I noticed btrfs fi df shows extra Data, System,
> > and Metadata allocations.  And btrfs fi show indicates extra
> > allocations on one of my disk drives accounting for the 20 MiB
> > allocation in the df display.
>
>   this is a known bug in mkfs.btrfs, the workaround for now is
>   to run balance on FS having some data. so that unused group-
>   profile will go away.

Thanks.

    garry@vfr$ sudo btrfs balance start /home
    Done, had to relocate 50 out of 50 chunks
    garry@vfr$ sudo btrfs filesystem df /home
    Data, RAID1: total=22.00GiB, used=21.02GiB
    System, RAID1: total=32.00MiB, used=12.00KiB
    System, single: total=4.00MiB, used=0.00
    Metadata, RAID1: total=1.00GiB, used=419.60MiB

Hmmm.

Well, it's better, but the extra allocation for System is baffling.  I
believe that this happened sometime after creating the file system.

Also balance on a RAID1 file system with exactly two drives doesn't
make much sense to me.  Why would any "chunks" have to be relocated?
I'm clearly missing something here.

--
Garry T. Williams