Re: Nagios probe for btrfs RAID status?

Daniel Pocock posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 14:47:49 +0100 as excerpted:

> I just did a search and couldn't find any probe for btrfs RAID status
>
> The "check_raid" plugin seems to recognise mdadm and various other types
> of RAID but not btrfs
>
> Has anybody seen a plugin for Nagios or could anybody comment on how it
> should work if somebody wants to make one?
>
> For example, would the command
>
>     btrfs filesystem show --all-devices
>
> give a non-zero error status or some other clue if any of the devices
> are at risk?

[btrfs personal user/sysadmin, not a dev, not anything large enough to
have personal nagios experience...]

AFAIK, btrfs raid modes currently switch the filesystem to read-only on
any device-drop error.  That has been deemed the simplest/safest policy
during development, tho at some point as stable approaches the behavior
could theoretically be made optional.

So detection could watch for read-only and act accordingly, either
switching back to read-write or rebooting or simply logging the event, as
deemed appropriate.