Re: Why cannot I move a read-only snapshot around?

Karl Kiniger posted on Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:29:56 +0200 as excerpted:

> Dear list, (newbie alert)
>
> After sucessfully sending and receiving a dozen of  related snapshots I
> want to move them all to the readonly folder but I cannot:

I see you mention fedora 19 in a followup, but for those not on fedora,
that's not much help figuring out which kernel you're running.  It's
likely that the following is your problem, tho there's not enough
information in your post to be sure.

There was a recent regression with nested subvolumes that may be what
you're running into.  Kernel 3.11 was affected as well as early 3.12-rcs
and I believe 3.10 also but I'm not sure how far back, except that
someone mentioned trying an old kernel (3.8 or 3.6-ish) and moving
subvolumes into subvolumes worked there (tho doing anything involving
writing into read-only snapshots shouldn't work, by design, but that
doesn't appear to be what you're doing, you're just trying to move read-
only snapshots to a different location on a read/write base or parent
subvolume, this post assuming it's a parent subvolume, thus triggering
the nested subvolumes bug).

A fix is available but I'm not sure whether it got into 3.12 (which is
just about to be released) or will now have to wait for 3.13.  So either
try latest 3.12 git and see if its there, or find and cherry-pick the
patch, applying it against 3.11 or 3.12.  (Given that btrfs is still an
experimental filesystem with fixes applied every kernel, while reverting
to an old enough kernel should unregress this particular problem, I can't
recommend it except possibly for testing against data you don't care
about, since by doing so you're exposing yourself to other known and now
fixed bugs.)