Re: Linux Arch: kernel BUG at fs/btrfs/inode.c:873!

Anatol Pomozov posted on Sat, 05 Oct 2013 22:14:25 -0700 as excerpted:

> Actually I remembered that I set "chattr +C" on /var/log/journal
> recursively (even for non-empty files) about a week ago, it might be
> related to the crash. When I mount "-orw" and try to remove
> /var/log/journal system hangs in btrfs-transacti thread.

Based on what I've seen in other threads and how nocow works, you really
need to either set it (on the dir) before the files are created, or touch
them so they're zero size and set it then.  You did say you set it on the
dir, recursively, but existing files would then have been COW for awhile,
and that might be related to your problem now, particularly with the just
freshly patched systemd-journal-file-triggered-bug I mentioned.

Of course as you likely know but others googling this or otherwise
reading it may not, btrfs is still labeled experimental, and while it
does work pretty well for the general case, it's exactly the slightly or
very oddball cases such as allocate-and-write-into technique that isn't
quite so common, that can still be buggy.  In addition to a few loose-end
features still being wrapped up, it's finding and fixing stuff like this
that's the biggest thing still left before btrfs can be labeled stable
and fully ready for normal and production use.