Re: /boot as a btrfs subvolume

On 01/06/2013 02:17 PM, Swâmi Petaramesh wrote:
Le 06/01/2013 20:11, Chris Murphy a écrit :
If you use UUID, and you use subvol=, and you don't rename/move your subvolume, it's perfectly safe. Nevertheless, GRUB becoming subvolid aware seems like a good idea to me, but I have no idea what's involved in that.
I actually run several machines on which I have /boot in a separate
BTRFS subvol, without any issue. I have a multiboot between several
different distros (typically Ubuntu, Mint, LMDE, Bodhi... All Ubuntu
derivatives except for LMDE which is Debian-based...) sharing the same
BTRFS container and using different subvols i.e. UBUNTU/@boot,
LMDE/@boot etc...

Works just great.

I assume you have a "grub partition" (or its equivalent) with a grub.cfg file having menuentry definitions [pointing to the different grub.cfg file for each system ... that seems to work well (at least for me). Currently, os-prober does not support btrfs.

I have taken a little look at the grub2 source code and there is some mention of both btrfs and zfs (and also btrfs subvolumes) in the changelogs. However, it is not clear to me (and I have not had the time yet) to explore exactly what the source code is doing or not doing.

Gene