Re: [RFC v3] doc: Connection Parameters command and event

Hi Marcel,

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > +Load Connection Parameters Command
> > +====================================
> > +
> > +	Command Code:		0x0031
> > +	Controller Index:	<controller id>
> > +	Command Parameters:	Params_Count (2 Octets)
>
> 				Param_Count
>
> > +				Params1 {
>
> 				Param1
> > +					Address (6 Octets)
> > +					Address_Type (1 Octet)
> > +					Min_Connection_Interval (2 Octets)
> > +					Max_Connection_Interval (2 Octes)
> > +					Connection_Latency (2 Octets)
> > +					Supervision_Timeout (2 Octets)
> > +				}
> > +				Params2 {  }
>
> 				Param2
>
> It should be loading multiple sets of parameter. The specification
> also talks about Connection Parameter as in singular set.

This would be very funny sounding English imo. The specification only
uses singular for the HCI Commands and Event (where "Connection
Parameter Request" does sound ok and doesn't mean that we're dealing
with a single parameter). In the command and event descriptions the spec
is pretty clear that we're dealing with multiple parameters, e.g.:

(from 7.8.31):
	"This indicates that the Host has accepted the remote device’s
	request to change connection parameters."

	"The Interval_Min parameter shall not be greater than the
	Interval_Max parameter"

	"The Timeout parameter shall..."o

(from 7.8.32):
	"This indicates that the Host has rejected the remote device’s
	request to change connection parameters."

(from 7.7.65.6):
	"This event indicates to the master’s Host or the slave’s Host
	that the remote device is requesting a change in the connection
	parameters."

So imo the spec is pretty clear that we're dealing with multiple
parameters per device.

> > +New Connection Parameters Event
>
> 		Parameter

Nope. We're notifying user space of a new set of multiple parameters.
Using the singular form here makes this sound quite funny. If you had
just one parameter then we wouldn't even name the event like this but
directly spell out which parameter is in question (e.g. "New Connection
Latency Event").

If you don't believe me feel free to get another opinion from a native
English speaker ;)

Johan