Re: About physically swapping backing and cache device

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 09:52:50AM +0100, Josep Lladonosa wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have been using bcache for some months. Now I am with 3.12.6 kernel
> (stable! :)
> Thanks and congratulations for the good work.
>
> I have in the laptop this configuration:
>
> /dev/sda7 as backing device (hard drive partition)
> /dev/sdb as cache device (SSD)
>
> 1) I would like to physically swap sda and sdb (a matter of different
> bus speeds) in order to improve ata speed for SSD. The fact is that in
> a case of this, would I have to "reregister" anything in bcache, or it
> will run referenced to UUIDs and so?

Everything's referenced with UUIDs, so it'll all just work.

> 2) I think I would have to install GRUB into /dev/sdb (it has no
> partitions defined). Would it be safe installing GRUB in a cache
> device? Future configuration would be /dev/sda for the cache (SSD) and
> /dev/sdb for the backing device (hard drive).

Bcache doesn't touch the first 4k of the device, so if it's just grub's MBR (512
bytes) that should be fine. I would verify that grub isn't touching more than
the first 4k of the device though.