Re: Linux 3.11-rc4 Writeback Cache Corruption

Whoops; forgot to send this e-mail to the whole list.  :)
So I have some unfortunate test results regarding this corruption issue. I tested my laptop on two kernels I built today. The procedure was as follows:

1. Check out bcache-3.10-stable. Kernal was build using the .config I have for Debian package linux-image-3.10-0.bpo.2-686-pae=3.10.5-1~bpo70+1. All new options were left at defaults. 2. Begin by checking out bcache git repository at bcache-for-3.11. Next, add Linux stable git as an origin. Then, "git br temp; git co temp; git merge linux-3.11.y". The merge applies automatically. Build the resulting kernel, again using the above .config with all new options left at defaults.

My hope was that one of these two kernels would resolve both (a) the cache corruption issue and (b) my hibernate/suspend problem. This did not appear to be the case. Using kernel #2 above (Linux 3.11.0), cache corruption was immediately evident; both apt-cacher and MySQL failed to start due to segfaults. Cache corruption was resolved by detaching and reattaching the cache device under a clean kernel.

Using kernel #1 above, I get the same results as the Debian stock kernel for Wheezy backports (the one from the package named above): bcache seems to work just fine until the kernel attempts to stop devices for suspend, hibernate, or shutdown; at this point, bcache times out waiting for the device to stop and the laptop never changes power states.

For the time being, it is easier for me to live without suspend/hibernate than it is for me to migrate back to a cacheless layout; moving all of that data around is time-consuming and I really want to use bcache. :) If there is any information I could collect with my machine that would help in the debugging process, please let me know!

Thanks,

Zach
[This mail was also posted to gmane.linux.kernel.bcache.devel.]