Converting existing partition to bcache backing device without loss of data

Howdy,

I am in the process of testing bcache on our HPC cluster to act as
cache for our gluster storage (~750TB).

I notice that during the setup process on our test cluster, our
backing device (where all our data is stored) will need to be
formatted in order to support bcache.

Does a way exist so we do not have to format our backing device? Or is
working being done to support this?

Thanks,
-Adam

--