Re: [LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24)

On Sat, September 1, 2012 3:28 pm, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 1:14 AM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> It's a common misconception. We already have Blender, Cinelerra, Ardour
>> and JACK?
>>
>> There is also smoke:
>>
>> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=18706115&linkID=10809903
>>
>> and of course massive....
>>
>> http://www.massivesoftware.com/
>>
>> You can get an idea of what Linux is capable of in AV production from
>> here:
>>
>> http://www.wetafx.co.nz/features
>
> Many commercial animation & CG apps are available on Linux: Maya,
> MudBox, 3D-Coat, TVPaint (sadly, no ZBrush or ToonBoom). Linux has
> proven itself in the visual effects & animation industry because big
> productions started using it... 'Titanic' and 'Lord of the Rings'
> really pushed it into the spotlight.

Another closed source movie tool for Linux I found out about recently is
Fabric Engine. They are sponsored by AMD no less.

The movie industry has clearly embraced Linux so it's really very strange
that the audio industry is still claiming that they are scared to get
their feet wet given that the majority of paying work these days is as a
direct result of the film and television, marketing industries. The money
to be made from selling a cd is almost negligible compared to a salaries
being earned producing and editing for film/tv and ever increasing web
based content markets.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd