Re: get on board the blues - D&B variant

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 07:10:17AM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello!
>   Just a short note of slgith disagreement: when I mix my normal
> prog rock or when I did some metal, I cut the bassdrum at 50Hz or
> even higher - for the metal - and it was a good thing too. Also
> normallly I use EQ'ing in the low band as well, to take volument
> down further.
>   OK, with basses it's been different. The one, that usually just
> appears as "sub_bass" in my tracks wouldn't get the highpass filter
> at 50Hz, that would do some really audible damage.
You should in fact have a sub to go all the way ddown to 20hz because of
sub-harmonics (specially with synths) and catch rumble and so forth.
Even so, the situation is non-trivial because correctly estimating
sub-bass levels in an improperly treated room is a very dodgey thing.
So, the only recourse left to those who aren't blessed with massive
monitors/subs and perfect room treatment is to free up the low-end as
much as possible (highpass all non-bass-essential instruments) and
cross-reference till your eyeballs pop out. As Julien points out, there
is a lot of heuristics involved.

Cheers,
S.M.