Re: poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 05:45:45PM -0400, Al Thompson wrote:
> On 04/25/2012 07:58 AM, Roberto wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:24:30AM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
> >> Personally, I'm averse against all forms of advertising :)
> > You are not alone.
> >
> > "Pay me and I'll deliver your message. Your message may be dishonest,
> > partially true, overly exagerated, spreads crap with nice envelopment or
> > simply induces people into thinking that they need something that they
> > don't. But if you pay me, I'll be happy to spread your message whatever
> > is it and I promise I won't even bother to question it. Thanks."
>
> Everyone complains that companies don't support Linux, and their
> decision is based either on complete ignorance of linux itself, or on
> the comparatively small user base.  That user base is small in large
> part because people either know nothing of linux, or have no idea that
> real-world usable audio. MIDI, and video programs exist.
>
> People will never find out about linux, and learn of the audio programs
> that exist, unless someone tells them.  Another name for "telling them
> about it" is advertising.
>
>   I understand the philosophical stance against advertising, and how
> some may feel it somehow is impure.  Consider that this same
> philosophical stand for "purity" is also what gives us distros that
> won't include features which they, in their supposed superiority, feel
> are impure, such as MP3 capability.  And to a large extent, as a direct
> result, even if people stumble across such a "pure" distro, people are
> turned off by it simply because they can't play their .mp3 files.  Or
> their graphics card won't work, or whatever.
>
> Getting a larger user base will only help the linux community, and I
> just have to shake my head at those who complain of the small user base,
> on one hand, and scoff at doing anything to enlarge that user base, on
> the other.

Disagree. Advertisement and education (as in transmission of knowledge
or information) are completely different topics.

Enlarging the user base is good, I won't complain with that, but not at
all costs. Some people may have priorites on top of the number of users,
if "doing anything to enlarge that user base" means "doing anything even
if it is against your deep moral believe", then some people will reject.
Probably you won't agree, but at least I hope you understand.