Re: Hydrogen --> Linuxsampler+Salamander Drumkit

2012/4/5 Leigh Dyer <lsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 5/04/12 3:29 PM, Stuzz wrote:
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 04:36:50 +1000, alexander <axeldenstore@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Good job on thatone! I didn't realize hydrogen could send midi, now if
it can send CC messages too somehow(for the hihat), you'll be able to
have all functionality of the kit! that would be pretty golden..

Glad you approve Alex.

The CC messages you're referring too... That has something to do with
how open, closed or inbetween the hihat is, right? If so, I'm sure
that'd be handy to sort out as well, but I don't think Hydrogen is up to
the task (but happy to be proved wrong).

For me though, I'd be hard pressed to find a requirement for that much
nuance on a hihat for a regular drum beat.

Without that, I think all of the hats you'll get from Hydrogen will be closed hats (well, apart from the pedal hat, which is on its own key), since you need to send a CC value to get the semi-open or fully-open hats.

Hydrogen indeed doesnt support sending CC messages, but you should be able to work something out using the mute groups (see http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/node/5#def.mutegroup)
if you put the different hh sounds in separate instruments and assign those 3 instruments to the same mute group you can simply create a pattern where you can use all 3 sounds

BTW: how would one send the CC values when recording a pattren live (using a midi drum) ?  does the HHpedal normally trigger CC messages ?

Also, this whole exercise is a bit of a stop-gap until I get up to speed
with programming MIDI parts direct into Ardour3, which no doubt (if it
doesn't already) is able to sent the CC message you'd like.

Yep, sending CCs works fine in Ardour 3. It shouldn't be a problem for any of the other sequencers around (Qtractor, seq24, Rosegarden, OOM2, etc.)

Thanks
Leigh

follow me on my Audio & Linux blog !