Re: OT: Modern film soundtracks

On 14/03/12 1:16 PM, S. Massy wrote:
Hello,

I'm no movie head, which is why I'm turning to this list. What would you
pick as some reference/quality film soundtracks produced in the last
decade or so?

If I can be make a slightly left-field suggestion, I'd check out some video game soundtracks -- some modern games have really beautiful orchestral soundtracks. One particular favourite from the last few years is the Garry Schyman's soundtrack to the Bioshock games, which has a frightening, disturbed beauty to it.

There's a great podcast that deals with video game soundtracks, called Top Score, which features interviews with the composers. It's well worth a listen:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/programs/top-score/

The Bioshock episode with Garry Schyman is here:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/05/23/top-score-episode-4-garry-schyman-bioshock

Thanks
Leigh