Re: My JX-8P is dead, any SW based synth that can handle the heritage? :-(

On 03/10/2012 05:56 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> No soft synth will reach the sound of CEM microchips or Yamaha FM
> synthesis.
>
> We get stuck if our old synth get broken.

How true!  I've done a LOT of searching for a softsynth that will get
one or two sounds of my Moogs.  I've found some that sound "good."  I
get thinking that they are just about "it."  And then I fire up one of
the Moogs and compare, and find out just how different they are.

One odd thing that I've consistently noticed over the past few years, is
that if I find a good MiniMoog emulation, and match settings on it for
one of my favorites on a Model D, is that, when listening to the
emulation, it sounds very close.  But, if I run each through a channel
strip so I can directly A/B them, I find that the emulation is muddy and
has no distinction.  I have to roll a LOT of high end off of the real on
to get the two channels to be even close.

--
---

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]