Re: futex_init() vs. KERNEL_DS, was Re: Boot crash on 68030

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014, Heiko Carstens wrote:

> > > I think futex_init needs to do set_fs(USER_DS), since futex is about
> > > user data.
> >
> > Rhetorical question: does it make sense to explicitly switch to
> > USER_DS when we know that current->mm may be invalid at the time?
> >
> > Given that the presence of USER_DS or KERNEL_DS at initcall-time
> > varies between architectures, perhaps this question must be left to
> > arch implementors.
>
> All architectures start with KERNEL_DS, otherwise the first couple of
> system calls within kernel_init() would all fail and the system wouldn't
> boot.

I was alluding to the assertion that "USER_DS is the normal operating
state": https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/1/15/476

> > Moreover, architectures that have no need for a run-time test for
> > usable futex_value ops have no real interest in such questions.
> > AFAICT, only mips needs the run-time test.
> >
> > For every other arch the availability of futex_value ops is known at
> > compile-time. We don't need to pursue universal answers to questions
> > like these:
> >
> > 1) the correctness of switching to USER_DS with mm->current == NULL
>
> I "fixed" s390, so it should survive an early switch to USER_DS and a
> subsequent failing user space access now.
>
> Anyway,
>
> > The discussion of these questions in various threads on various lists
> > did not resolve anything. Again, this is probably because all of these
> > questions are actually arch implementation issues.
> >
> > So it seems to me that the solution to the futex_init() problem is to
> > evaluate the futex_cmpxchg_enabled assignment at compile-time where
> > possible, and use the run-time test only on mips. Thoughts?
>
> Such a patch exists already (bottom of message):
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-next&m=138875880028607&w=2

Thanks. I gather that you don't need this patch on s390 any more. Though
it does promise to save some cycles on any architecture that can optimize
away all the "if (!futex_cmpxchg_enabled) return" tests.

With your patch, the nak'd patch* from Geert would be obsolete unless it
was useful to mips (or deemed correct by fiat).

Finn

* http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=138675863423989&w=2