RE: Will's kernel compilation error

Well a monolithic kernel, which mine isn't, actually runs faster than a
modular one despite being larger... that's been proven several times over
the years. In the past I used to roll monolithic kernels simply for
emergency boot situations and because kernel modules were notorious for not
compiling properly with all kinds of undefined symbols... rolling them into
the kernel was a quick fix. Do you honestly believe all those different
modules, written by a slew of different people, will build properly let
alone function properly? Kernel-2.6.34-rc1 is the FIRST one that I've seen
where the netfilter modules all compiled!

Another thing, some components 'have' to be built into the kernel because
they won't automatically load or the kernel config makes it mandatory. The
auto load function of past kernels has been pretty iffy at best and granted
I've yet to actually load this release, I do have my doubts. So important
things such as my aic7xxx drivers, ali drivers, 751 chipset, etc. I roll
into the kernel itself.

The things that you've stated I can understand but on when you get right
down to it, it's not a major issue. My 'monolithic' kernel is only 1.9MB @
89MB/s. Personally I feel they should make small-data an patch addon, it
would save a lot of people a some grief. Some ppl will select them (modules)
either intentionally or by accident and the majority of folks are not
running AT HDD's on a flaky IDE controller. Sincerely Will L G

PS Whatever you guys decide please make it obvious... the aboot/kernel
change a few years ago, caused a lot of Alpha Linux users to bug out...
About the only ppl aware of the change was Ivan and a handful of Debian
folks.